The video player could not be built.

Do you have debt you can't afford to pay?

Are You Receiving Social Security, Pension or Disability Income?


HELPS is a nonprofit law firm and 501(c)(3) charitable organization. We serve senior citizens and disabled persons struggling with debt.

Call HELPS now to learn how your retirement income is protected by law and how we can help.

Thank you for your information.

Need immediate help? Call 855-435-7787 to speak to a HELPS representative.

When You Need to Change Where Your Social Security Deposit Is Deposited.

Sometimes it is necessary to change the bank account into which your Social Security is deposited, perhaps so a creditor or collector to whom you gave access to your checking account will no longer have access to your checking account.

It usually takes at least a couple of weeks and up to two months for your Social Security to go into the new account. If you have an automatic payment in the interim that you don’t want to make, you can contact your bank and have a stop payment made so that payment does not come out of your account.

People change where their Social Security is deposited all the time. In order to accomplish this, you first need to get a new bank account, either at a different bank or at the same bank you are currently using. After you have the new account into which you want your Social Security to be deposited, you have three ways to make the change.


Physically go down to your local Social Security office. Take the new routing and account number for your new bank account as well as your old bank account information and ID. Also, it’s a good idea to have a “void” check from the new account with you. The Social Security office will make the change on the spot.


If you are computer savvy or can get someone to help, making the change on the internet is easy. Set up a “my Social Security account.” The website to do this is You can start, view, and change your direct deposit information via the My Profile Tab on “my Social Security.” In addition, you can decide when your change will take effect.


 You can call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213. You may be placed on hold for some time before you get to talk with someone. Be sure to have both the old and new bank account information in front of you to provide them.

Learn More About Other Issues and What HELPS Can Do For You.

Peace of Mind
These HELPS clients were dealing with harassing debt collectors and anxiety over old Debt. HELPS provided a solution to their financial worries.